Monday, August 04, 2008

"Unframed" Exhibit



Yesterday was 106 degrees and quite a bit humid. TX is not for wimps. Ruthie and I shook it off and went down to New Braunfels for an exhibit of fiber art by some San Antonio fiber artists/friends.

Let me say something about going to an opening where you know some of the artists. It's a little weird because walking into the gallery is like entering a fabulous candy store/shoe boutique/cathedral/takeyourpick,(whatever really moves you). Here was a collection of beautiful handmade works of art/craft beckoning closer inspection. Dolls hung from walls and stood on pedestals, quilted 3D house-shaped boxes flaunted bright hot colors, silks, dyed and painted, floated down from the ceiling, and garments clothed manikins here and there. My heart literally beat faster and my eyes couldn't stop moving around the room. At the same time here are folks I haven't seen in awhile, so there are hugs and handshakes first. I have to admit, I forget myself and want to dive into the art, but the people and the art go hand in hand. It's so much fun. Next to making stuff myself and with others, I love going to galleries!

I'm posting two pictures, a couple of my favorite things yesterday. Maybe it was the heat, but everything seemed to vibrate with color for me yesterday. The golden doll was made by Linda Rael, just about the sweetest person I've ever met. We met a few years ago at ArtFiberFest in Washington and hit it right off. I feel so lucky that our circles have crossed again. I'm definitely going to get down to SA and play at her studio sometime soon. Her dolls have a tribal feel to them, and she plays with color so happily. I feel I could really learn something about expressing joy in dolls through her. The other picture is a quilt by Susie Monday, whose work has a true TexMex feel to it. There are religious themes and cactus blooms, Mexican and central American vintage textiles, and riotous color throughout her work. It moves me and lifts my spirits when I see it. She is also doing some wonderful 3-D stand alone quilted pieces which satisfy my bent for sculpture and fiber together. I'm a new fan of her work and will follow her with interest. She does workshops at her studio just about monthly, so I anticipate a day of inspiration one of these months in the future.

No comments: