Friday, August 08, 2008

Paper Detour






I don't scrapbook any more, but I certainly can't help picking up pretty papers when I see them. I have a lot of papers, preprinted, painted, saved from old books, mail, etc. Scrapbooking is what first cracked open my creative side after I had Katie, so I'm fond of the hobby, even if I don't have the time to do it anymore. Actually I could have the time; it's just that once the door was cracked, I pretty much kicked it open and have never looked back. I'd rather try new things than go back and do what I've already done before. So long to scrapbooks.

BUT.

I've been derailed these last few days by a little project in Teesha Moore's Art and Life Zine. I think I mentioned this before, but I've been making these little paper accordion books for journaling in, just to get some different creative juices flowing. Well, several books later I had to go to the store for some different papers and double stick tape. (I was on a roll and couldn't stop myself...I get that way.) I came upon one of those little stacks of pretty card stock with designs on both sides in a small size (for easy matting of a 4x6 photo). It was on sale, so I took it home to play with. Since I can't bear to have to choose one side of the paper I decided to use come fabrics to bind it. Who would have guessed? From there, I couldn't resist adding ribbon, other papers, and more fabrics. I love my beautiful yummy mess of a book. Can't wait to draw/write/paint in it, but I wanted to show it off first. Since these are so much fun to make I may put a few on Etsy soon. There's no way I can use them all.

I'm also putting up some shots of one of the paper books. My studio is an absolute disaster zone, and spreading into the kitchen. Must retreat and re evaluate. Incidentally, the bookmaking did the trick. Heck, yeah, the juices are flowing now! Maybe I can move into a pretty doll in these colors.

1 comment:

Laurie G. said...

Hello friend. I Love this yummy book!