Friday, August 01, 2008

Ruthie's Sunset


As I was checking the Austin Fiber Artists Yahoo site this morning I came across a thumbnail pic which I thought was a sunset at first. But no, it's my friend Ruthie Powers' dyed fabric. The flash brightened up a little corner of it and shone like the sun. I just love that. You can see more of her work and musings at her blog. It's HOT HOT HOT here in Austin now, so this fits!

By the way, I'm done feeling sorry for myself now. Just give it a day and, well, it's a new day. Morning's are beautiful and full of possibility. Also, I got to talk with an old college friend and my sister last night on the phone. Amazing what a little conversation with some of my girls will do to flip my mood.

I decided to make the most of the rest of summer. In the case of the volunteer work beckoning, I'm going to take the bull by the horns with this current press realease and just finish it quickly. The trick this year will be incorporating the writing into my weeks, if I'm going to be involved, as well as finding the other writer (who I know is out there) in the school community to pick up slack. My husband gave me the "just say no" talk last night and it sort of sunk in, as I thought of others around me who do it so well. I definitely need to establish some boundaries. And there are awful tasks like organizing my desk area which will also increase my efficiency. So here I go.

Last night my sister Liz recommended a book to me for the kids called "100 things to do before you're 12" and "100 places to see before you're 12". She promised that it would inspire kids and adults to appreciate sights and activities close to home, something which I almost feel we do too much of. I've been admittedly lazy about planning a vacation. We don't get out as much as I wish we did. And yet, the kids have taken the lead of Bill and me and made the most of their hobbies around the house. Not many of Katie's friends, for example, get to paint canvases with acrylics in the great room, or have a huge fabric stash to resort to when she needs to make doll dresses. And my boys dream of going to Legoland in CA because they envision a huge park where you never run out of Lego pieces as you're making something (I almost hate to take them there and disappoint them with theme park rides and nasty food)! I know their creativity will serve them well. I'd hate for them to be the kind of person who has to be entertained all the time. Still, I'm going to make an effort to get them out once or twice before the end of the summer. I'll have plenty of time to work and play with my own projects around here when school starts back up.

I'm in a new space, thank goodness. All it takes is a little time with a girlfriends/sister on the phone and I have some perspective.

No comments: