Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It came!

The cover and binding -- blue velvet and buttons.

Barbie shoes and Dancing feet
The flapper flaps open to reveal Laurie's bare feet, stitched -- toes and all, actual size.

New Shoes -- women and little girls both love them!
The flaps on the left page have little shoe surprises behind them.
The picture on the right is great because there is a doll next to that cute bobbed-head baby, and the shadow of the photographer's head on the steps in front of her...sweet.

My babies' bronzed shoes on the left and a Donald Pliner (I think) beauty on the right...and a little man rowing it across a glacial lake...Dream Big, whatever it means to you!

The masquerading ladies on the left below which is a pocket with a vintage shoe horn and carded shoe button from a well-known-at-one-time socialite. Laurie bought it from a guy who collected shoe memorabilia and documented it all, then sold the collection on ebay. (You think I have a fetish?)
The right page is a delish juxtoposition of county/disco -- and a sparkly vintage silver button.

Home and Away, both pages with hand drawn bird buttons.
The left page is a copy of an actual photo I took in the garage one spring. A silly bird built her nest in my work boot. The left is a picture taken in a Nazi concentration camp -- a pile of shoes.
Quote beneath says "Of all the shoes that you have at home, which pair would you choose to wear if given only a few minutes to gather all of your possessions?"
Six of one; Half dozen of the other.
Edwardian lovelies, embroidery, vintage lace and glass buttons - and ceramic bobby soxers!

The back cover, and a collection of fabric swatches and ephemera Laurie collected for me.
I've actually hugged my new book a couple of times today, I love it so. Laurie read my mind today, I guess, becuase my walk to the mailbox was rewarded with the usual bills and pitches...then, lo...Treasure. Laurie bound it perfectly and included a few extra special things for me to stitch on if I want to. What a satisfying end to our collaboration!
I hope I meet some willing person next week in Portland who'd like to start another book with me, or maybe some other project. This sure was fun.
The excitement of getting away to play for a few days next week is finally beginning to build! I've kept it out of my mind becuase I've been so busy with other things, but this shoe book really delighted me today. UPS shipped all my stuff out yesterday, so all I have to do is pack my stash for my workshops and I'm there! Can't wait to be with my fiber family.
In the midst of this, there is the tax assessor's informal hearing tomorrow, which I am NOT looking forward to. Oh well, to everything there is a season.

3 comments:

Laurie G. said...

I'm glad it had a safe landing. It is so huggable, isn't it! Such a blast. Thank you for the inspiration, fun and friendship. --L.

Unknown said...

Laurie, I lost your email to my last computer crash. please email me...I want to thank you for this wonderful finish to my book! I feel in such great hands...you're amazing. Nice finish and sweet extras!! Wow.

Jeanne said...

Hi Jen,

It was so nice riding to the airport with you on Sunday and chatting over coffee while we waited for our flights to take off. How convenient that we both flew United! I hope you got home safely. I had so much fun at AFF...I can't wait till next year! I'm still working on my finishing up my Enchanted Cottage.
Happy 4th of July...looks like it is still sweltering in Texas!

xo
jeanne