Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Jenny's Heroes


Last Christmas, while in Barnes and Noble in Lincoln NE, my college stomping grounds, I ran into an old acquaintance. Jenny and I exchanged addresses and agreed to keep in touch. Rather than the usual email, I was surprised to receive a handwritten letter from her. I immediately sent her one back, along with some doodles and watercolors, and we became regular pen pals. (It really does happen in the 21st century.) Jenny is a very smart and creative woman, and frequently sends small gifts along with her letters. Here is a tea towel she embroidered for me with some of her favorite famous women. These excellent women are: Lucille Ball, Catwoman, Anna Axmatova, Lily Tomlin, Marie Curie, Julia Childs, Cleopatra, Frida Kahlo, Guinevere, Colette, Phyllis Diller, Santa Rita, Nefertiti, Lady Godiva, Emily Dickinson, Camille Claudel, Elizabeth I, Mae West, Jeanne d'Arc, Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jane Austen, Eleanor of Aquitaine, Greta Garbo, Zelda Fitzgerald. You see why I love Jenny?

No comments: