Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summer Breakfast


I wish I could say I had this (and only this) lovely bowl of fruit for breakfast. I'm afraid there were a few bites of chocolate chip pancakes in there, too. The mornings have been gorgeous, in spite of afternoons of 100+ degrees. Thank goodness for the heat, though. What would Texas be without hot summers?

These days a typical day is either sitting by the pool or just staying in somewhere with the air conditioning blasting -- home, movie theaters, Chuck-E-Cheese's (kids' pick). I try to stagger our indoor activities with outdoor activities. The golf and tennis, if sports are on the radar, need to take place in the mornings. Sometimes the kids ride their scooters around the driveway. In the evenings we've been playing a lot of ping pong in the garage. (I know I could be good at ping pong if I didn't love white wine on summer evenings) Luckily we all enjoy arts and crafts, so we can always pull out paints and glue. We have a couple of friends over each week, sometimes ending in sleepovers, and late nights watching movies. Sometimes we don't even get a movie started until 9:30/10:00 at night -- definitely on a summer schedule! Of course then there are always video games and computer games. One of the better ones is "Crazy Machines", where you have to complete certain tasks using an assortment of objects the professor chooses for you, like rope, pulleys, weights, ramps, explosives. My boys get into some heated exchanges over how to go about accomplishing each job. Luckily I can usually manage to ignore all that, although sometimes it's necessary to just kick all the kids out and turn on the sprinklers and drag out buckets. I love summer.

I just got off the phone with a friend who told me we have only 33 days left until school starts. Now there's a sad thought.

No comments: