Monday, June 02, 2008

Quilted Portraits

Pamela Allen is a Canadian art quilter/teacher whose workshop I was lucky to attend yesterday. For 6 hours we quickly worked on compostition, line, color while making 4 small art quilts. Her teaching method is friendly, quick and intuitive; I can tell she has had extensive art training because she really is not shy about editing and offering helpful criticism. Part of the workshop included time to hang all the work after each hour-long "assignment" and critique what we made. I really loved it.

This collage is composed of portrait quilts we made. Mine is the witch in the black hat.

It's so inspiring to work alongside other people on projects like this. If you can't get away for an art retreat I wholeheartedly recommend an afternoon with an artist who so graciously and enthusiastically takes her classes to you.

I thank my husband for taking over for me the second Sunday in a row so that I could play. He took the kids to a party at a huge rock-climbing/bowling/pool/arcade place and even stayed to play with the boys there. Wow.

1 comment:

Martha Tsihlas said...

HI Jen, we have met a couple of times at the Austin Fiber Artist group. I was happy when I found your blog! I like the photo of the quilted portraits. If I had been in town I would have liked to attend Pam's workshop. I will probably see you at the next AFA meeting and introduce myself again. Sometimes it is hard putting the names and faces together.
Your work is very beautiful...is there a workshop in the future??