Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Banksy -- love this.


I wholeheartedly agree with Banksy who says, "Graffiti doesn't always spoil buildings. In fact it's the only way to improve a lot of them." Regarding the CANS Festival this year in London in an abandoned tunnel, he said "In the space of a few hours with a couple of hundred cans of paint I'm hoping we can transform a dark forgotten filth pit into an oasis of beautiful art."

This event on May 4th, 2008 was blogged and photographed by Pinewood Design, someone in the UK interested in art, politics, computer stuff. Anyway, half the time I don't know how I even find this stuff, but I'm glad I did.

I'm a fan of graffiti some of the time. I hate it when it's just a tacky little tag on someone's mortgaged property. I love it when it's artistically rendered on a building so dilapidated and unnoticed it has become part of the public domain from sheer neglect. There's some soul out there who's willing to invest a hundred dollars in paint and a few nights to make it his/hers and love it to life.

Let me tell you, you never see it here I live (chi chi west Austin) but I go gaga when I happen on a small beauty painted on some electrical box in town. The chanciness of the act, the cruel and beautiful impermanence of the act, the possibility of nothingness makes me giddy.


No comments: