Monday, March 31, 2008

Exploring Gesture


The space a doll inhabits reveals something, but I'm not sure what. I've been staring at this figure(s) for several days now in all light and from all angles. I started this doll without consideration. I was playing with the eyes in the head and found a rather worried or merely diligent expression, didn't care for the chin or the shape of it's head, but fixed it to a body nevertheless. I realize I need to add to the bust to make it more womanly, but then what? The baby in her hand can stay or go, incidentally; it is not fixed there yet.

Does the body's gesture suggest a certain costume, personal characteristic, or some other concept? I am intrigued with the idea that a figure's space, that portion of space that a doll or any body (anybody!) occupies in the world, may relay something universal. I'm trying to decide if this pose is trying to tell me how to costume her or if I should consider some esoteric theme. Either way it's all play. This is the fun part; the speculation over Who or What this doll IS.

Sometimes a costume is what makes a doll. Other times it's an idea (patriotism, hunger, flattery) which provides a great jumping off point. In this case I sense it's the sweeping, almost affected gesture.

Recently my massage therapist (whose business card states "fairy godmother" -- in addition to being board certified -- can you do any better than that?) loaned me some articles on space and movement, written by a former dancer. While reading them, I didn't fully appreciate the concepts, being neither a professional dancer nor a massage therapist, yet they have crept into my thought process. See how a little information does a person no good? Alas, this is the story of my life. I resolve to re-read those papers. After all, she enthusiastically forced them on me after I told her I was working with armature and balance. Maybe she knew something I didn't. She claims the fairy godmother title, after all. Maybe there's an answer for me there. How to finish this doll!

No comments: